Tuesday, October 20, 2015

BEAUTY: Ceramics--Renee Brown

Ceramicist Renee Brown uses clay to make objects that look like crystal and mineral formations. I love how she uses texture and the glaze process to convincingly replicate specimens that look as if they have been mined form the earth. In her Artist Statement, Brown says, "My sculptures are crafted from a personal vernacular of beauty. Referencing objects from the mineral world, I am inspired by the endless possibilities of surface and composition. My imagination’s interpretation of these objects flow into the work, often bypassing what might rationally be found in nature. This blurred line between reality and created reality intrigues me. Minerals that are mined for ceramic supply enter my studio in their pummeled state and are transformed into the visual essence of their original existence."


http://www.reneebrownceramics.com/

No comments: