Saturday, April 12, 2014

"Odyssey" by Dream Koala

Wow.

Inspired by a dream of dying in a plane crash:
"What if there's no tomorrow?"

The plaintive repetition of the word "tomorrow" at 3:13 is just chilling and heartbreaking...



Nineteen-year old Dream Koala (née Yndi Ferreira, Brazilian-born, raised in Paris), says of his music in an interview with Jacob Brown for VOGUE, "I love when music makes you feel like you’re in another dimension, when it transports you somewhere else, like a dream."

But even more importantly, when asked about the extraordinary video, he revealed, "I wrote this song when I woke up from a dream where I was dying in a plane crash. It’s about the fear of not reaching your goals, the fear to die without realizing your dreams. In the lyrics I say, 'All these landscapes / I wish I had seen.' So what we see in the video is the whole world representing 'these landscapes.' It is somewhere between dream and reality, between death and life. I didn’t want to put a character in it because I wanted people to feel like they were the main character. When I met Adrien Peze and Albin Merle, the two guys who made the video, I told them that I wanted the video to be like if Terrence Malick’s 'Tree of Life' was mixed with the work of Hayao Miyazaki and Moebius, and they made it happen."

A nineteen-year old who references Terrence Malick, Miyazaki, and Moebius?
Wow, indeed...

For those unfamiliar, I reviewed Malick's "The Tree of Life" in a past post here.

http://facebook.com/dreamkoala
http://soundcloud.com/dreamkoala

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great article. Discovered this track on the Legit Liquid sampler. Amazing song, amazing talent. Read your destination...