Sunday, March 17, 2013

Currently listening to...

...the arresting, desperate "The Lightning Strike (What If This Storm Ends?)" by Snow Patrol. There is an urgent, pleading current that seems to careen toward inevitable loss that rips me up and makes me put this on repeat, as if it allows one to see ahead to the end, and one finally, regrettably, gloriously understands that there is no other ending to be had. We know how it ends: as Rumi said, "Enough of these phrases/ Conceit and metaphors/ I want burning, burning, burning." Do you know what I mean? Do you know what this song means? Do you know what your song means? It's important that you do...



What if this storm ends?
And I don't see you
As you are now
Ever again

The perfect halo
Of gold hair and lightning
Sets you off against
The planet's last dance

Just for a minute
The silver forked sky
Lit you up like a star
That I will follow

Now it's found us
Like I have found you
I don't want to run
Just overwhelm me

What if this storm ends?
And leaves us nothing
Except a memory
A distant echo

I want pinned down
I want unsettled
Rattle cage after cage
Until my blood boils

I want to see you
As you are now
Every single day
That I am living

Painted in flames
All peeling thunder
Be the lightning in me
That strikes relentless

http://www.snowpatrol.com/

No comments: