Saturday, November 3, 2012

BEAUTY: Photography--Andrew Brodhead

Andrew Brodhead's most recent series of photographic work features bodies wrapped in plastic and eerily floating in static landscapes.

Artist's Statement:
"Growing up in Savannah, Georgia, I worked at my parent’s health food store, and as a kid my daily job was to take out the recycling. Through the years I started to realize how much was not recyclable. I began to think about landfills and where everything goes. There are islands of plastic taking over the oceans, the earth is suffocating from plastic that never biodegrades, and our water and environment are leaching toxic estrogenic compounds. Visually, I want to convey the sacrifice we have made by our consumption and waste. The wrapped bodies represent invasive cocoons floating over vulnerable landscapes."

It also speaks to the related idea of mortality, and how the elements that compose our bodies return to the natural world.


http://andrewbrodhead.com/

No comments: